Greetings from the Finance Office,
Alternatives for the Older Adult, Inc. is designated by the State of Illinois to be a critical advocate for older adults in 16 counties in Western Illinois. It is our mission to promote the independence and quality of life of older adults and their families.
We are primarily funded (86%) by the Illinois Department on Aging and Western Illinois Area Agency on Aging. In addition, funds are received from the Office of the Attorney General, United Way and other local funders throughout the service area such as area banks, foundations and private donations.
Alternatives’ places a high value and importance on the practice of exceptional internal control procedures to safeguard all of the funds that are received and to assure that each funder is able to receive proper reporting of how their funds were utilized. The fiscal support at Alternatives works very hard to minimize support costs to assure maximum use of taxpayer dollars toward direct program support.
A Finance Committee meets routinely to review budgets, revenue and expenditures as well as to set new policies as needed to provide general oversight.
An independent annual audit is conducted through a local CPA firm at the close of each fiscal year. We are happy to say that each year we have received a “clean audit” which also includes high remarks about our diligence in assuring that our fiduciary responsibilities are met.
Alternatives’ annual audit and 990 are available for review if you are interested. Just contact me at 800-798-0988 to request information.
Tammy Edwards, Fiscal Director
As a nonprofit organization, Alternatives relies on generous community support. Your financial support really does make a difference. Because of your generosity, Alternatives has never had to turn any one away, due to an inability to pay.
Your donation will help:
- an older adult live independently in their own home
- provide caregivers with necessary support and resources to provide quality care
- Alternatives advocate for older adults’ physical, emotional, and financial safety
There are a variety of ways to donate:
- Simply click on the “Donate” button below. (However, from September 1st each year to November 30th, this “Donate” button is disabled so that we may show support for the United Way’s efforts to raise funds.)
- If you would like to designate your United Way donation to Alternatives directly, you may obtain a donation form from your local United Way office. Instructions for completing the form can be viewed below.
- Endowment giving – designed to sustain Alternatives’ mission for decades to come.
- Estate planning
Please call Alternatives with any questions you may have regarding your donation at (800) 798-0988.